14 Jun “Steroids” The Two-Edged Sword(Last Updated On: June 14, 2018)
All magic comes with a price, as we all know that steroids are widely used for medical purposes because they are useful in treating many conditions, but a variety of side effects can occur when they are misused.
Steroids are a hormone that your body produces naturally. It is responsible for controlling body systems such as anti-inflammatory, keep fluid balancing and activate the immune system.
However, steroids can also refer to man-made medicines called “corticosteroids”. They closely work like a natural hormone in the body to treat a range of conditions and quickly flight inflammation in the body.
Types of Steroids
- External Use: aims for specific area
- Eye Drop – to treat an eye inflammatory
- Nasol Nebuliser – to stabilize allergic rhinitis conditions
- Bronchodilators – to help on respiratory diseases
- Topical Steroids – used to control eczema or dermatitis condition
- Systemic Steroids: tends to be given by orally and injection, the medicine itself spreads throughout the body and plays the role toward internal infections and immune systems such as SLE and rheumatoid conditions.
Benefit of Steroids
The main role of steroids is used as the treatment for certain inflammatory conditions such as pain, swelling, redness or burn of tissues inside the body. They also reduce the activity of the immune system to against illness and infection. The proper doses of steroids given may provide significant relief from pain and stiffness.
Two-Edge Sward ‘Steroids’
Inappropriate steroid activity such as overdosage and prolonged usage can increase the number of negative side effects to the body. The common side effects of steroids misuse include:
- Steroid acnes
- Skin atrophy
- Stretch marks
- Water retention
- High blood pressure
- Swollen face
- Increased chance of infections
- Increased chance of osteoporosis
‘Steroids’ use it right, use it wise
Take steroids only as prescribed and always consult a doctor before using steroids or even leaving them.