‘Scarless Thyroidectomy’ Rainbow after the Storm
“Thyroid” is the biggest endocrine gland in the body producing thyroid hormones to control the body’s metabolism, temperature, growth and brain development. When an abnormality occurs just like finding a lump or an enlargement of the thyroid gland, it compresses vital organs in the neck which increases the possibility of acquiring cancer, the specialist may advice a surgical treatment.
Conventional Open Thyroidectomy leaves a noticeably massive scar on your neck which is a huge aesthetic issue you have to live with. Luckily, now there is what we call a “Scarless Thyroidectomy”, an evolution of thyroid surgical technique which eliminates aesthetic issues and improves the patient’s quality of life.
- Conventional Open Surgery requires a long cut on the neck to access muscle layers and see the abnormality then removes the thyroid gland. Patient will be left with an obvious scar on the neck after the surgery.
- Scarless Thyroidectomy was developed from Minimal Invasive Surgery and Natural Orifice Transluminal Endosopic Surgery. The surgeon inserts an endoscope through a small cut on the armpit which creates a tiny scar hidden under your clothing. In addition, surgical technology has evolved nowadays and Thyroidectomy can be done through incisions within the mouth which does not create visible scars after the procedure.
Benefits of Scarless Thyroidectomy
- No visible scar.
- 4K images for endoscopic procedures reduce nerve damage.
- Less postoperative complications.
- Less pain and faster recovery.
Guidelines for Scarless Thyroidectomy
- Thyroid hormone has to be functioning normally before the procedure.
- 6-8 hours fasting prior to the time of the procedure.
- The procedure requires general anesthesia and intubation.
Thyroid gland is one of the many other important organs in the body and its abnormality may affect most of your body functions. So, if you suspect a lump inside your neck you should seek medical advice immediately. Moreover, current surgical techniques and medical equipments for thyroid removal is nothing to be worried about anymore.