At Vejthani Hospital Total Joint Replacement Center, Bangkok, Thailand we offer a High Tibial Osteotomy for osteoarthritis and/or bone deformity from previous trauma or congenital cause. The High Tibial Osteotomy procedure will realign the leg and reduce the pain around the knee by transferring the body weight to the preserved normal side of the knee. High Tibial Osteotomy prolongs the life of a damaged knee, helps relieve pain in the knee and extends the lifespan and functions of the natural knee joint.
During a High Tibial Osteotomy, surgeon will design the corrective osteotomy site for the affected bone and joint. This resembles the realigning of a bowlegged knee or a knock-knee to the position close to the anatomical knee position. The patient’s weight is transferred to the other portion of the knee, where it is close to the normal anatomical knee joint.
After regional or general anesthesia is administered, the surgical team sterilizes the leg with antibacterial solution. Surgeons map out the exact size of the wedge osteotomy that will be done using a Fluoroscope, or 3D computer modeling. A three- to four-inches incision is made.
The corrective osteotomy will be done by a Minimally Invasive Surgical technique. The surgeon will be gentle on the soft tissue and bones; hence the patient will get less pain and better outcome after the surgery.
A fall or torque to the leg during the first two months after the high tibial osteotomy may threaten its healing. Patients must be extremely caution of doing all activities, including walking until the healing process is complete. Around 2-3 months after the osteotomy, patients will be able to walk normally. The correction of the deformity part will preserve the good function.
- Keeping a slight bend in the knees will take the pressure off during standing.
- Avoid activities that cause pain, which lasts over an hour.
- Perform controlled range of motion activities that do not overload the joint.
- Avoid heavy impact on the knees during daily and athletic activities.
- Gently strengthen thigh and lower leg muscles to help protect the bones and cartilage in the knee.
- Non-contact activities can keep joints and bones healthy and maintain fitness over time.
- Exercise also helps promote weight loss, which can take a stress off the knees.
At Vejthani Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand, we provide cutting-edge technology medical equipment. Our certified surgeons are well-trained and highly experienced. Therefore, you can trust in our surgeons and services. Surgery isn’t an enemy, but friendly to your health.
If you have any inquiries, please contact us at https://www.vejthani.com/talk-to-doctor/ and make an appointment now.
- Readers Rating
- Rated 5 stars
5 / 5 (Reviewers)
- Your Rating