In my Knees
Update : September 28, 2015
Why suffer pain when you can stop it? Today there are many emerging treatments for osteoarthritis. In some individuals, they prefer the conservative method rather than undergoing surgeryif the damage could at least be treated without cutting the knees open. One treatment which is emerging in health care today is Platelet Rich Plasma.
What is Osteoarthritis?
Sometimes called degenerative joint disease or degenerative arthritis, osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common chronic condition of the joints. In normal joints, a firm, rubbery material called cartilage covers the end of each bone. Cartilage provides a smooth, gliding surface for joint motion and acts as a cushion between the bones. In OA, the cartilage breaks down, causing pain, swelling and problems moving the joint. As OA worsens over time, bones may break down and develop growths called spurs. Bits of bone or cartilage may chip off and float around in the joint. In the body, an inflammatory process occurs and cytokines (proteins) and enzymes develop that further damage the cartilage. In the final stages of OA, the cartilage wears away and bone rubs against bone leading to joint damage and more pain.
What is Platelet Rich Plasma Injection?
Platelet Rich plasma injections aim to promote cartilage repair and relieve osteoarthritic symptoms, potentially delaying the need for joint replacement surgery. Platelets produce growth factors that are thought to stimulate chondrocyte proliferation, leading to cartilage repair.
What are the Benefits of PRP?
- Has the healing power of your own blood.
- Can reduce joint pain caused by inflammation.
- Repairs damaged joint lining.
- Slows down further wear and tear of your cartilage.
- Contains valuable proteins and growth factors that your body may use to begin repairing cells and tissue.
- Typically patient requires only one or two injections a minimum of four weeks apart.
What to Expect After PRP Injection?
- The treated area will be numb for about an hour
- It is normal to have a significant increase in pain and stiffness in the area for the few days following the injection.
- After the numbness wears off, you may move the affected area, but avoid activities that cause increased pain.
- Do not take any anti-inflammatory medicine for at least four weeks following the procedure.
- For pain, take acetaminophen (Tylenol) or medicine prescribed by your doctor
- For the first 24 hours, ice only if needed for 10 to 20 minutes every two to three hours
- After one to two weeks, you can resume physical therapy as directed by your physician.
- Call your doctor immediately if you experience unbearable pain, bleeding or signs of infection (i.e. streaking, fever or chills).
- It typically takes at least 4 weeks until patients notice improvement with pain and function, and 3-6 months for maximal benefit.
Vejthani Hospital Orthopedic Department offers Platelet Rich Plasma Injection to patients with orthopedic conditions who could be candidate for the said procedure. We have professionally equipped doctors and health care team giving excellent service and high technology with a very hygienic environment conducive to patient’s treatment process.
Procedures are executed in our fully accredited facility and state -of the –art technology here in Vejthani Hospital. Our arthroplasty surgeons are always available and accommodating in terms of arthroplasty procedures. We are proud to commend that we have been Joint Commission International (JCI) Accredited with Certificate of Distinction CCPC Knee Replacement Program.
We offer everything for you as much as we can from your initial visit to the actual procedure up to your recovery period. Vejthani Total Joint Replacement Center (TJR) highly trained surgical team is committed to providing the personal support and medical expertise that you expect and deserve.
The surgeons and staffs at Vejthani Total Joint Replacement Center are our spectacular domain, committed exclusively to providing you with quality patient care.
For inquiries and appointments Vejthani Hospital Total Joint Replacement Center is located at third floor or contact us through: email firstname.lastname@example.org; Tel +66 (0) 2734-0000 ext 2222, 2223, 2224; Fax +66 (0) 2734-0375. Service hours starts 8:00 am up to 8:00 pm from Monday to Sunday.